Students who are interested in admission in Medicine, Dentistry or Pharmacy in English at Sofia Medical University
must sit an entry exam in Biology, Chemistry and English
. Below we have provided a summary of the most frequently asked questions about the entrance test:
1. What entry exam dates are available in 2019? The entry exam dates are 24 August, 14 September and 4 October. The last date is available only to candidates who need a VISA to apply for admission in a Bulgarian university. Usually, applicants can choose the entry exam date - exceptions may be possible as candidates may have a different case and therefore may not be able to submit their documents on time in order to register for the first date available.
2. How does the exam date look like and where does it take place? The exams in August and September take place on Saturday in the campus of Sofia Medical University. Candidates are given all three papers (Biology, Chemistry, English) at once and they have around 2-3 hours to submit your papers. There are 15 questions in Biology (some of them might be open, some of them - multiple choice), 15 questions in Chemistry (some of them might be open, some of them - multiple choice) and 10 questions in English (you are given a text to read plus questions in regards to the text).
3. Are all three parts of the exam mandatory? Yes. All candidates, except for transfer students from a Bulgarian university, must sit the entry exam in Biology, Chemistry and English. There are no exceptions for people who are native in English language, have English certificates or have completed a degree in one of the fields (Biology, Chemistry or English).
4. Is there an interview? No, there is no interview.
5. The university is organizing a preparatory course. Is it mandatory? You do not need to take part in the preparatory course, if you do not wish to. The course takes place in the campus of Sofia Medical University and it is conducted by university teachers. The preparatory course includes lessons in Biology and Chemistry, which are held Monday to Friday before the entry exam. There is no preparatory course before the exam in October.
6. When and where can I register for the exam? The registration for the exam and the preparatory course takes place in summer. We help our students register for both - the entry exam and the preparatory course.
7. What are the fees? The fee for the exam is 400 BGN (around 200 EUR) and the fee for the preparatory course is 600 BGN (around 300 EUR). The fees are non-refundable.
8. How should I prepare for the entry exam? Inter HECS - Study in Bulgaria provides sample tests and study materials which help candidates prepare for the entry exam. In addition, you can also consider taking part in the preparatory course.
9. What is the grading system? The grading system in Bulgaria goes from 2 (fail) to 6 (excellent). Students should aim for a high grade in order to be considered for admission. All three parts of the exam must be passed with at least a 3 in order to be considered for admission. If you fail the exam, you may be considered for admission in a preparatory year.
10. How do I find out my exam result? The results are announced a couple of days after the exam on the website of Sofia Medical University. Hence, you do not need to stay in Bulgaria to wait for the results.
11. Does passing the entrance test means I am officially accepted as a student? No, in the middle of September (once the results from both exams are out), the university will publish the list of officially accepted students ranked according to the exam grade they have scored.
12. Can I retake the exam? No, Sofia Medical University does not allow retakes.
13. Where do I stay during the preparatory course and entrance test? You can book a hotel room in Sofia - the university does not provide accommodation.
14. I would like to apply for admission in Sofia Medical University. How do I do that?
Inter HECS provides applicants with full application and relocation support - contact us now
and start your application! Here
you can find more information about our services!