Study in BulgariaLearn more about student life in Bulgaria and the study programs offered by Bulgarian universities!
We know that Bulgarian cuisine is great but it sometimes it might be hard for foreigners to find halal food. In the following, we will provide you with more information where to find halal food in Sofia and Plovdiv.
Halal food in Sofia
If you are looking for halal food in Sofia (keep in mind this is usually not sold in supermarkets), our students recommend the following places:
– 75 Tsar Simeon Str. aka ‘Arab street’ – a halal bakery street serving traditional Arabic food such as lahm-bilajeen. Prices are very reasonable e.g. 1 lahm-bilajeen is 1.50 lev, naan breads are 2 for 1 lev.
– 163 Knyaz Boris I – near to the bakery is a halal Iraqi restaurant serving all types of Iraqi dishes. Prices start at 5 leva for a plate of rice with a stew/sauce of your choice such as okra, fava beans, aubergine stew.
– 99 Tsar Samuil Str. – a small Lebanese café serving fast food such as shish touk, burgers and shawarma. Located very close to ‘Arab street’. A shawarma wrap costs between 2.5 – 3.5 leva, and a whole chicken costs 9 leva.
– 38 Praga Str. – ”Chicken shack” restaurant/take-away is very popular with students as it is very close to the university. Serving a variety of middle eastern food including some home cooked dishes that vary daily. A large shawarma wrap is 3.50 leva as is a burger and a whole chicken with chips costs 10 leva.
– 1407 Byala Cherkva – Samer Grill House is a sit down Turkish restaurant with a variety of Turkish dishes. Prices are a bit more expensive as this is a serviced restaurant. Starters are priced between 5 – 10 leva, mains between 8 – 25 leva and desserts between 5 – 8 leva.
Halal food in Plovdiv
If you are looking for halal food in Plovdiv, we recommend the following places:
– Pasa restaurant (1 min walk from Central mosque, 10 Zlatarska Str.)
– Antik restaurant – Turkish kebabs and everything (216 6th September Str.)
– Damask Kebab (a doner place) located 5 min walk from Plovdiv Medical University, 35 Vasil Aprilov Str.
– There is also a halal meat shop (3 Tsoko Kableshkov Str.)
Necessary Cookies - These Cookies are necessary for the proper functioning of the Website by allowing the visitor to navigate the website and use its features, such as remembering previous back-to-back actions in the same session. Therefore, visitors cannot deactivate these cookies without affecting the functioning of the website.
Performance Cookies - These Cookies are used in order to enhance the functionality and the performance of the Website.
The Necessary Cookie and Performance cookies should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.
These Cookies provide information on how the Website is used. This information includes: IP address of the device from which the visitor has access to the platform (usually used to determine a country or city); type of device from which the visitor accesses the platform (e.g., computer, mobile phone, tablet, etc.); type of operating system; type of browser; concrete actions to be taken, including pages visited, frequency and duration of visits to the website; date and duration of visits. From the types of Analytics Cookies we use Google Analytics. In this way we have the opportunity to improve the functionality of the Website in order to provide visitors a better experience.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.
Please enable Strictly Necessary Cookies first so that we can save your preferences!